Spicy Sauteed Cabbage with Bacon
I don't know about you, but I always have a head (or two) of cabbage in my fridge. It's one of those cheap vegetables that are versatile, less pungent, and add a crispy texture to any dish. I also enjoy the fact that, when cooked, cabbage also tastes slightly sweet.
Unfortunately, I'm also one of those people who buy a lot of produce, stuff them in the fridge, and forget about the few stuck in drawers or at the back of the unit until it's too late. So when I opened my drawers to find my head of cabbage, I got to work seeing what I can cook using it as my main ingredient.
This recipe really is just the result of throwing together things that are laying around in my fridge. But I gotta say, it turned out pretty darn good for something so simple. I could see myself munching away on these while binge watching something on a lazy afternoon. It's that good!
WHAT MAKES THIS RECIPE DELICIOUS? I would be lying if I didn't say bacon here. But I'm sure there's no surprise there. Who doesn't love bacon? The crispy, saltiness just pulls everything together in this dish. I'd also like to note that you can substitute bacon for any of your favorite sausage variety. One that I would definitely try next is either chorizo or hot links.
The other ingredient that elevates this dish beautifully is, of course, our very own Nam Prik Chili Sauce. What's life without a little spicy in it? The sauce works its magic by balancing all the flavors together perfectly and adding a pleasant heat in the process as well.
SPICY SAUTEED CABBAGE WITH BACON
- Heat a large cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Cook bacon until slightly crispy. Remove bacon from skillet.
- Cook onion in bacon grease until slightly translucent.
- Add cabbage, pepper, oregano, and paprika. Cook until cabbage is to desired consistency (I like it soft, but with a bit of crunch), around 10 - 15 minutes.
- Add garlic, bacon, and Nam Prik Chili Sauce. Cook for 3 minutes more.
- Garnish with green onions and serve.