Teriyaki Chicken Skewers
While the weather has been relatively weird here in Los Angeles, there's no denying that summer is coming. And with it, the delicious wonder of barbequeing. There are a variety of things you can cook up on the grill, but one dish that never fails to bring a smile to my face would have to be skewers. They are so much fun to eat and not to mention the burst of flavors from caramelized veggies and well seasoned meat.
Unfortunately, I live in an apartment and don't have access to a grill. Fret not! This recipe can be cooked in the oven and is sure to please your guests just as much as if you did have a grill. The teriyaki sauce complements both the chicken and variety of vegetables on the stick. A bit of heat comes from our Nam Prik Chili Sauce while the sweet tanginess is from the brown sugar and pineapple juice.
TIPS & TRICKS ON COOKING: If you are using bamboo skewers like me, make sure to soak them in water for at least 30 minutes to make sure it doesn't dry up and burn while everything is cooking in the oven (or grill, if you have one). Also, switching up the order of vegetables and meat on the skewers will guarantee a different burst of flavor in every bite. I personally love the flavor of pineapple with the chicken, so I try to arrange them in a way that they could be eaten together in one bite.
TERIYAKI CHICKEN SKEWERS
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, mix together sugar, soy sauce, pineapple juice, Nam Prik Chili Sauce, garlic, pepper, and salt. In a small bown, whisk together water and cornstarch. Slowly mix cornstarch mixture into the saucepan.
- Bring sauce to boil and cook until sauce starts to thicken, about 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat and reserve 1/3 cup for glazing.
- Marinade chicken in sauce mixture for at least 30 minutes, or overnight in the fridge.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Assemble the skewers by arranging the chicken and cut vegetables onto the sticks.
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes, flipping halfway through. If using a grill, it will usually take about 10-15 minutes.
- Lightly glaze the cooked skewers with reserved sauce mixture.